Representative Trey Gowdy may have surprised the Republican Party of Virginia recently when he pulled out of a fundraiser, but his decision was entirely in keeping with his vow not to capitalize on his role in ongoing Congressional hearings on the Benghazi.

The Virginia fundraiser, billed as a $75 a plate event with an option for a $5,000 VIP ticket, was publicized on twitter using the hashtag, #GowdyOnBenghazi, but the reference to the 2012 attack flew in the face of Gowdy’s long-standing position.

His office released a statement saying that Gowdy had been unaware that the fundraising event would include discussion of the Benghazi attack or the hearings. “Having been made aware of this group’s plan, he no longer will be participating.”

Last year in an appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Gowdy said, “I have never sought to raise a single penny on the backs of four murdered Americans. Certain things ought to be above politics.

The 50 year-old South Carolina congressman is in his third term in Washington, and has already won a reputation as the dogged chairman of the House Select Committee charged with investigating the 2012 attack by Islamic militants on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi.

Gowdy has used tough prosecutorial skills learned at the U.S. Attorney’s office to subpoena and question witnesses, including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, to find out what led to the raid and what transpired afterward as the Obama administration bungled its attempt to control the publicity and attribute the attack to a protest against an anti-Islamic youtube video.

The strike occurred on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks on American soil and came amid Ambassador Stevens’ growing concerns about security at the consulate that went unheeded by Clinton’s State Department.

Gowdy will no doubt continue to be in the public eye as the House committee’s investigation focuses on revelations that Clinton used a private email account and server for official communication when she was secretary of state. On Sunday, he told CBS News that there are “gaps of months and months and months” in the emails the former secretary had turned over to the committee pursuant to subpoena issued by the committee.

U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens, Information Officer Sean Smith and two former Navy SEALS, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, who were acting as CIA operatives, were lost during the assault on the compound in Benghazi. As many as seven more Americans were injured that night as they waited for a military rescue that never came.


Tags: , , ,


JOIN U.S. HERALD Subscribe for FREE today and find out what's REALLY happening in America!