Petition Constraining Obama From Taking Action In Violation Of The 2nd Amendment
The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States was ratified as a part of the Bill of Rights in 1791 in recognition of the long tradition of English common-law supporting the natural rights of self-defense and the duty to act in defense of the state.
The Founding Fathers deliberately chose to guarantee that the government of the United States could not infringe upon the right of the citizens to “keep and bear arms.”
This right was considered as fundamental to freedom as the guarantees to enumerated rights such as the free exercise of religion, free speech, freedom of assembly, speedy trial, protection from cruel and unusual punishment, self-incrimination, and those other rights specifically enumerated by the amendments comprising the Bill of Rights.
SIGN THE PETITION AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE!
The inclusion of the Bill of Rights, including the Second Amendment, was deemed essential to the ratification of the Constitution by the states.
The United States Supreme Court has held that the right of an individual citizen to “keep and bear arms” as protected by the Second Amendment applies to citizens of the states and the District of Columbia.
Now, President Obama has announced that he will issue a series of executive actions imposing gun controls on the citizens of the United States as part of a political strategy in response to recent instances of mass shootings.
President Obama has failed to recognize and address the motivations of the perpetrators of such mass shootings in targeting Christians, members of the military and law enforcement, specifically:
• Charleston, South Carolina (June 17, 2015) at Emanuel African Methodist Church. Ten Christians, including a pastor, were murdered during a Bible study class; another victim survived.
• Chattanooga, Tennessee (July 16, 2015) at two military installations. Four Marines and a Navy sailor were murdered while on duty; another Marine and a local law enforcement officer were wounded.
• Roseberg, Oregon (October 2, 2015) at Umpqua Community College. Students were shot if they self-identified as Christian. Nine students were murdered; nine others sustained serious injuries.
THEREFORE, we the undersigned demand that President Obama do the following as a considered, measured and lawful response to mass shootings:
• Recognize and address the persecution of Christians, members of the military and law enforcement officials in these instances of mass violence;
• Be constrained from issuing Executive Orders or taking executive actions which infringe upon the right of all citizens to keep and bear arms, in direct contravention of the Second Amendment; and
• Be required to follow the lawful process for the repeal of an amendment to the U.S. Constitution, as was used to repeal the 18th Amendment.