In one of the most harrowing experiences anyone goes through – confronted with an emergency situation that demands split-second decision-making that may mean the difference between life and death, we rely on others to come to our aid.

We’re taught from our earliest years to dial 9-1-1 for help – even the Islamic terrorists knew that number was U.S. “code” language for “HELP” and the stories of young children who have placed that call to report a sick grandparent or a mother in labor make the news and reinforce our belief that help is out there.

Firefighters, paramedics, and police stand ready to respond whether it be to a heart attack, a car accident or a burglary – or worse.

The communication system that went into effect nationwide in the 1970s, replacing the original “O” for “Operator” call for assistance, is paid for via property tax assessments and, increasingly, surcharges on both landlines and cellphones and includes the salaries of the people who answer frantic calls, gather information, and dispatch help.

At least that’s what most emergency operators do when they take calls.

But Houston Emergency Center operator, Crenshanda Williams, didn’t seem to think that was her job.

Instead, Williams would hang-up on calls, “because she did not want to talk to anyone at that time,” according to her own admission.

Williams is 43-years-old, presumably old enough to be aware of the overwhelming responsibility of her job, but she couldn’t be bothered

Authorities launched an investigation after Williams hung-up on three calls placed during an armed robbery of a convenience store – twice before the caller was able to explain the nature of the emergency.

The clerk was shot and killed before help eventually arrived.

The probe revealed a pattern of “an abnormally high number of short calls” lasting 20 seconds or less taken by her – thousands in a single six-month period alone.

In a recording of one emergency call, Williams can be heard saying, “ain’t nobody got time for this – for real,” after she hung-up.

Williams was charged with misdemeanor interference with an emergency telephone call and released on $1,000 bond.

She is also out of a job.

Facebook Comment
JOIN U.S. HERALD Subscribe for FREE today and find out what's REALLY happening in America!

Send this to a friend